Where do I Start?
Measure the length of the existing seals along the perimeter of the ramp gate. This is the length you’re going to need. On our website, you can browse our ramp gate kits: Ribbed Hollow Bulb Seal, Large Hollow Half Round with Double Tabs and Large Hollow Half Round.
Ramp gate kits include the edge seal, corner seal, prep tool, Loctite Super Bonder 495 adhesive and an instruction sheet. The seals are made of high quality EPDM sponge rubber that feature strong UV and ozone resistance. This makes for excellent durability and weather-proofing.
The corner seal comes in a single block length so that it may be trimmed to fit your ramp gate.
The edge seal is backed with 3M Peel-N-Stick tape and the corner seal comes with a pressure sensitive adhesive. Both are easy to apply.
The Super Bonder is provided to help with mitering of the corners. We will cover mitering in another blog post!
Carefully measure the perimeter of your ramp gate to select the correct kit size. Dimensions for each kit are listed on our website.
What Tools do I Need?
Most of the tools you’ll need are probably already laying around your shop, and if you purchase a ramp gate kit from Steele, we include some of the other items you will need.
- Scraper/Tuck tool (included in our kits)
- Loctite Super Bonder 495 (included in our kits)
- Adhesive remover
- Cleaning rags
- Colored marker
- Eye and hand protection (see our notes on hand protection below)
How do I Replace the Seal?
- Start by using the scraper tool to remove the old seal entirely. If you run into some difficult spots, use the adhesive remover and rag to wipe it away
- Lay out the new edge seal along the edge of the ramp gate to visually ensure the fit
- If you are using the corner seal, you will need to measure how much will be needed at the bottom edges and trim accordingly
- Remove the protective lining from the adhesive back of the corner seals and press it firmly into place
- Align the edge seal to start from the side of the corner seal. You can use the Super Bonder to connect the ends of the edge seal with the corner seals. Note: small amounts go a long way
- To install the remainder of the seal, remove the protective lining from the adhesive back and press the seal firmly into place
Loctite Super Bonder 495 is a no joke adhesive. Seriously. Everyone here has glued their fingers together and it’s not fun. Loctite sets quickly and can be an eye and skin irritant. Please use with caution and protection!
Steele Rubber Products Ramp Gate Kits are designed to be a complete replacement for worn, damaged seals found on RV and enclosed trailer ramp gates.
If you need help finding the right ramp gate kit for your project, or need help installing your ramp gate kit, assistance is available with one of our Product Specialists over the phone (800-230-6752) and on Live Chat.
*For additional help check out our How To series on YouTube!
Look for us on all your favorite social media platforms: