How to Replace your Lock Pillar Filler and Leading Edge


A worn-out lock pillar filler and leading edge could be responsible for the whistling noise caused by wind.

Lock Pillar Filler Diagram

The lock pillar fillers are found on the inside of the doors.



A door lock pillar seal is the rubber part found where the rear quarter window meets the lock pillar. It serves as the access manager for the quarter window seals and a good lock pillar filler has a metal core that holds the screws in place and keeps the part sturdy.. Without this piece water and dust will accumulate in the quarter panel; elements that will eventually lead to rust.



The leading edge is found on the quarter window where it meets up with the door window when the door is shut.



The leading edge seals the rear quarter window to the side window when they are rolled-up.

Replacing these parts is easy and can be done at home with only a screwdriver and a bottle of soapy water.






It is best to change the seals on both doors at the same time since they will probably both be worn and this also saves you from searching for individual parts later.

The fillers go by other names including lock pillar seals or just filler seals. The quarter window seals are also called leading edge.

Matt Agosta, President of Steele Rubber Products demonstrates how to change the lock pillar filler and leading edge.


  1. Use a screwdriver to remove the quarter window filler.
  2. Slide the quarter window seal down against the edge of the glass until it is completely removed.
  3. Mist the new seal with soapy water and reinstall. Sliding it from the bottom up.
  4. Replace the quarter window filler by aligning the screw holes as they were before and replace.

TIP: If you think you’ll have trouble replacing the parts, take a picture  of the original composition before you begin.


Steele not only has all the products you need but all the knowledge you need to get the job done right, too. If you have questions about Rubber Parts or Weatherstripping on your Classic Car, Truck or Hot Rod feel free to reach out to us! You can call us at 800-447-0849, contact us through our website at or comment on this post and we’ll get you answers as quickly as possible. Check out our YouTube channel for our full library of how-to/installation videos.


Steele Rubber Products, located in Denver, NC, is a manufacturer and seller of high quality rubber parts and weatherstripping products for classic and vintage automobiles, hot rods, RVs and Boats. Steele offers more than 12,000 parts for American made cars and trucks as well as a large line of universal weatherstripping and rubber parts to be used on any project. Established in 1958, Steele is a trusted name in the automotive restoration industry.


Leave A Reply